Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Shrads Block 8-4 Draft

I played an 8-4 draft today in MTGO, Its a single elimination pod with prizes of 8 packs to the 1st placer and 4 packs to the 2nd. Since Nationals is approaching, I decided to try to improve my game more and what better way than to draft in an 8-4 queue. Here's how things went.   
Pack 1 pick 1:

  My Pick:

Pretty interesting pack 1. Most of the good cards are more or less the same power level. Let's try Mr. Ruel for today and hope we get passed some Wild Nacatls or Akrasan Squires.
  Pack 1 pick 2:

  My Pick:

There's the Squire! I don't see anything wrong picking it(I actually think the Pros will), but the Cerodon has won me far too many games to ignore. Besides, its still white. If I go Naya, its a perfect surprise. So I'd go with the Big Guy.
  Pack 1 pick 3:

  My Pick:

UW exalted splash Red is feasible as per Conley Woods, I've never drafted that archetype before, Maybe I'll give it a try... For more information on the RWU archetype, Visit this site http://magic.tcgplayer.com/db/article.asp?id=8433
  Pack 1 pick 4:

  My Pick:

Or I can go Naya.
  Pack 1 pick 5:

  My Pick:

There is still a chance that UW is open. I'll take the duelist. This card got a whole lot better with Reborn with support cards like Ethercaste Knight. And It can go head to head against most of the blades and live to tell about it.
  Pack 1 pick 6:

  My Pick:

Just in case I splash anything.
  Pack 1 pick 7:

  My Pick:

I'd like to maximize the usage of combat tricks before I say goodbye to them when M10 hits the streets.
  Pack 1 pick 8:

  My Pick:

Can probably make the cut if I go straight up UW.
  Pack 1 pick 9:

  My Pick:

I can't believe this guy is still here.
  Pack 1 pick 10:

  My Pick:

There's nothing I'd really want to play here. I'll take the Obelisk just in case.
  Pack 1 pick 11:

  My Pick:


  Pack 1 pick 12:

  My Pick:


  Pack 1 pick 13:

  My Pick:


  Pack 1 pick 14:

  My Pick:


  Pack 1 pick 15:

  My Pick:


  Pack 2 pick 1:

  My Pick:

If GMA has ZTE, I have PTE!
  Pack 2 pick 2:

  My Pick:

I reckon that purge is the better card between it and the outlander for my deck. So far, I don't have bombs yet, I hope some really good "I win" cards go my way...
  Pack 2 pick 3:

  My Pick:

Not bad..
  Pack 2 pick 4:

  My Pick:


  Pack 2 pick 5:

  My Pick:

Hmmm... Maybe I can try going UW splash RGB. I've heard a lot of good things about that archetype.. The question is can I still draft UWrgb when I already passed an Armillary Sphere and a Rupture Spire?
  Pack 2 pick 6:

  My Pick:

Perfect fixer..
  Pack 2 pick 7:

  My Pick:

It's white, has 1st strike, and can potentially win me games if I get my mana right. I may have some use for those Obelisks after all.
  Pack 2 pick 8:

  My Pick:


  Pack 2 pick 9:

  My Pick:

There's my bomb. Good thing it came back.
  Pack 2 pick 10:

  My Pick:


  Pack 2 pick 11:

  My Pick:


  Pack 2 pick 12:

  My Pick:


  Pack 2 pick 13:

  My Pick:


  Pack 2 pick 14:

  My Pick:


  Pack 2 pick 15:

  My Pick:


  Pack 3 pick 1:

  My Pick:

Kind of greedy, But in the 2color/5color archetype, you can practically get any bomb, as long as you can fix your mana. (and still be alive to be able to cast them)Now the late game is mine to dominate! But I have to scour for fixers, good thing Reborn has a lot to offer in terms of fixing.
  Pack 3 pick 2:

  My Pick:

The only good UW card here is the Crystallization, but I need to start fixing my mana.
  Pack 3 pick 3:

  My Pick:

Fixing or the stormblade? I'll get the stormblade; its a very good threat and is UW.
  Pack 3 pick 4:

  My Pick:

looking good...
  Pack 3 pick 5:

  My Pick:

Fixer, I'm not heavy in artifacts to warrant a shieldmage.
  Pack 3 pick 6:

  My Pick:

Looking good...
  Pack 3 pick 7:

  My Pick:


  Pack 3 pick 8:

  My Pick:

My deck's beginning to look like it has a good early game with a very strong late game.
  Pack 3 pick 9:

  My Pick:


  Pack 3 pick 10:

  My Pick:


  Pack 3 pick 11:

  My Pick:


  Pack 3 pick 12:

  My Pick:


  Pack 3 pick 13:

  My Pick:


  Pack 3 pick 14:

  My Pick:


  Pack 3 pick 15:

  My Pick:


This draft converter created by Benjamin Peebles-Mundy.
Visit the draft converter today!

Here is the list that I played. Click the image to enlarge.

Thoughts on the deck. Its an Aggressive UW deck splashing RGB for Lavalanche, Bull Cerodon, and for the activation of the Dragonsoul Knight and the Paragon of the Amesha. I can either be the aggressor or just chump in the early game then take over the late game with my bombs. I feel pretty confident with the deck's manabase even if it doesn't have an Armillary Sphere or Rupture Spire, thanks to my Obelisks, and land cyclers.
I won up to round 2 and lost in the 3rd round when both me and my opponent were on topdeck mode(damage race mode as well) and I had a Leviathan and got him down to 1. I was able to hit twice with the Leviathan post lavalanche. Too bad he topdecked a removal spell to kill one of my blockers and go all in with his other guys.

No comments:

Post a Comment