Wednesday, April 22, 2009

AAC Draft Number 2


Below is a 4-3-2-2 AAC Draft that I played in MTGO last night.
  Pack 1 pick 1:

  My Pick:


  Pack 1 pick 2:

  My Pick:

The White Orchid is nice but the double white requirement means that I will not be able to cast it on turn2 most of the time. Puppet Conjurer is nice if I play 5 color control, but It will probably return anyway. Rakeclaw Gargantuan automatically puts me into Naya. I want to keep my options open this early in the draft and get the Knight. Even If I don't go Naya, he's pretty ok in 5 color. Or a bear at the very least.
  Pack 1 pick 3:

  My Pick:

I can probably go 5 color with this. Or jund. Its the strongest card in the pack, Greed is good. lolz
  Pack 1 pick 4:

  My Pick:

Jund it is!
  Pack 1 pick 5:

  My Pick:

Seriously????
  Pack 1 pick 6:

  My Pick:


  Pack 1 pick 7:

  My Pick:


  Pack 1 pick 8:

  My Pick:


  Pack 1 pick 9:

  My Pick:


  Pack 1 pick 10:

  My Pick:


  Pack 1 pick 11:

  My Pick:


  Pack 1 pick 12:

  My Pick:

Works well with the Ogre if decide to run him.
  Pack 1 pick 13:

  My Pick:


  Pack 1 pick 14:

  My Pick:


  Pack 1 pick 15:

  My Pick:


  Pack 2 pick 1:

  My Pick:

A removal spell.
  Pack 2 pick 2:

  My Pick:

And another. Now I can use my resounding thunders to the dome!
  Pack 2 pick 3:

  My Pick:

The drake seems the best card for me since I have a shitload of removal spells. And I'm a little short on creatures.
  Pack 2 pick 4:

  My Pick:

Great! My first 2 drop.
  Pack 2 pick 5:

  My Pick:

And another one. I should be able to cast him on turn 2 since my base colors are RB.
  Pack 2 pick 6:

  My Pick:

Another sweeper against the archetype that I hate the most. BANT.
  Pack 2 pick 7:

  My Pick:


  Pack 2 pick 8:

  My Pick:

Cool, an on-color obelisk! I'm not sure though if this will make the cut if I get a Jund Panorama.
  Pack 2 pick 9:

  My Pick:


  Pack 2 pick 10:

  My Pick:

MWahhahahaha!!! What's the title of my Blog again??? The wheeling of this card tells me that the people in the draft are not playing Grixis or Jund. They are most likely playing Naya or Bant. That's why I get some cool Red and Black removals, even on the latter picks.
  Pack 2 pick 11:

  My Pick:

Screw Bant!
  Pack 2 pick 12:

  My Pick:


  Pack 2 pick 13:

  My Pick:

Too bad I wasn't able to pick up a Dragon Fodder or a Sprouting Thrinax..
  Pack 2 pick 14:

  My Pick:


  Pack 2 pick 15:

  My Pick:


  Pack 3 pick 1:

  My Pick:

The choice here is between the Slavedriver or the Fiery Fall. But I'm short on critters so I'll take the Slavedriver. Its great with the Drake too!
  Pack 3 pick 2:

  My Pick:

the Leotau is clearly the best card here, but Green is just a light splash. The Ignite disorder is nice against Bant as a sideboard but I already have an Infest and a Jund Charm. The Goblin is also good and can probably make the cut since I sense that this table is heave on Naya and Bant. But I'll try what Porter said. "A 1-color 2-drop > a 2-color 2-drop" Besides, I haven't played with this guy ever so I'll try him out. His doublestrike ability seems nice with my Jund Charm.
  Pack 3 pick 3:

  My Pick:

Really, NOBODY's playing Grixis, Jund, and 5 Color Control.
  Pack 3 pick 4:

  My Pick:

I can probably hate the Behemoth, but the Aura may prove useful as sort of combat trick.
  Pack 3 pick 5:

  My Pick:

Good against Esper, and Obelisk of Alara that I have absolutely no way to deal with.
  Pack 3 pick 6:

  My Pick:


  Pack 3 pick 7:

  My Pick:

RAREDRAFTER!!! But seriously, He's in my main color, a 1-drop, and I have quite a few Red 2-drops. He might make the cut.
  Pack 3 pick 8:

  My Pick:

Good! A decent bear 4-drop for my curve.
  Pack 3 pick 9:

  My Pick:

Another removal spell for my Drake.
  Pack 3 pick 10:

  My Pick:


  Pack 3 pick 11:

  My Pick:

Friends tell me that they side this in against Bant and other token decks. But with all my board sweepers, Do I really need this? Maybe I should have taken the Quenchable Fire instead?
  Pack 3 pick 12:

  My Pick:


  Pack 3 pick 13:

  My Pick:


  Pack 3 pick 14:

  My Pick:


  Pack 3 pick 15:

  My Pick:


This draft converter created by Benjamin Peebles-Mundy.
Visit the draft converter today!


First of all, I'd like to apologize for the absence of the game data in my last draft. the tech support at WOTC said that the Game Replay function is out indefinitely. And since I have a pretty poor memory, I will not be able to recount the games that I played with the April 20 Draft. Since I owe you readers that, I will discuss the games in this draft a little more in detail. Hopefully my very good memory serves me well.

I think I did a pretty good job reading the draft as I didn't have any problems with my colors. I ended up playing both the Slaughtermaster and the Parasite just to see how they work, And for maximum damage if ever I curve out.
Round 1 against Naya.
Game 1 I kept a hand containing a Slaughtermaster, Resounding thunder, and Deathraiders. The first 4 turns was basically a Slaughtermaster and Deathraiders beats. My opponent’s 1st play was a Drumhunter. I played a Kederekt Parasite. He took a lot from my 2/2 doublestriking Slaughtermaster and Deathraider that he refuses to block with the Drumhunter. He then played a Cliffrunner Behemoth and drew a card at end of turn courtesy of the Drumhunter. I’m finally appreciating my Kederekt Parasite that can now deal him 2 to 3 damage per turn hahaha. I used a Resounding Thunder against the Cliffrunner and that was game.
Game 2 was even faster, I played a Deathraider and he played a Naya Battlemage, I managed to sneak in the parasite early again so it was ok that my Deathraider was being tapped by the Battlemage. I played a Bloodpyre Elemental and did not sacrifice it to kill the pesky Battlemage as I will normally do, just to see how the game rolls. The game ended with him at 7 life, with the Kederekt parasite draw step damage on the stack when I casted a double Resounding thunder against him.

1-0
Round 2 Against Naya/Bant.
Game 1
He played 1st and mulled to 4 the 1st game. Parasite beats followed by a Deathraider again. Did I say that he mulled to 4? I’m liking this Parasite.
Game 2 I shipped back a 1 land hand and got a pretty interesting opening 6. 2 swamps, an Infest, a Wretched Banquet, a Jund Charm and a Resounding Thunder. If I draw a Mountain and my opponent casts anything that breathes, its dead.
He played a turn 2 knight of the skyward eye while I topdecked a Deathraider. He played his 3rd land and did not attack during his turn so I reckoned that he will block. I played my third land which was a Forest(to ready jundcharm mana in case he blocks) and attacked. He did not block. During his turn, he played a fourth land and an Alghae Gharial. He still did not attack even if I didn’t have blockers. I played a scavenger drake immediately so that his Alghae and my Drake will grow together. I passed the turn. He then played an Akrasan Squire and attacked with the Knight. I took the damage and he pumped the knight.
A few turns later, I played a Skeletal Kathari and attacked with it to have it blocked by his Aven Windskimmer. I used Charm to pump my Kathari. Later on, I played infest to kill his knight and squire so the Gharial and the Drake were slowly growing. Too bad mine had evasion. So on my side of the board was a 5/4 Kathari and a 6/6 drake while he only had a 6/6 gharial. I was down to 10 when he attacked with the Gharial, I decided to not block since I’m beyond resounding thunder range nor can he burn me with soul’s fire. Turns out his attack was a desperation move to see if I will chump as I won the next turn.
2-0

Round 3 against Bant
Game 1 He played exalted guys, while I only saw 3 mountains the whole game. Good thing I was holding a Fallout and was timing it for maximum use. He accelerated with a White Orchid on his 3rd turn and attacked with an exalted guy. I took the damage and waited for him to play another critter. He never played another guy so I used the fallout to wipe the board only to find it useless against his gleam of resistance the next turn.
Game 2 He was looking for an island the 1st few turns while I was beating with the usual suspects i.e. Slauthermaster and Deathraiders until he was able to fetch an island via Esper Panorama and subsequently played a Warmonk. I did the math and played a Scourge Devil so that if he blocks, he will lose his gay monk. He was down to 2 then he attacked the monk and went back up to 5. He then played another monk! WTF? Good thing I had a resounding thunder in hand. On my turn, I did an alpha strike again and stacked the 1st strike damage of the Slughtermaster in case he had tricks up his sleeves then burned his dome with a Resounding Thunder.
Game 3 I kept a hand with an Executioner’s Capsule. (damn you monk), a couple of Thunders, a Scourge devil, a Slaughtermaster and a couple of lands. He played a turn 2 visionary while I played the Slaughtermaster for the beats. He followed up with a Guardians of Akrasa (damn those 4 toughness critters). I still haven’t found my forest to pump my guy so I just used the capsule on the Akrasan guy at the end of his next turn. I FINALLY topdecked my forest and attacked my Viashino, only to pump it when he didn’t block for maximum damage. He was actually attacking back with the Visionary. (as if he can race) The next turn I played a Scourge Devil and pumped the Viashino. During his turn, he played another gay guy, a Knight Captain of Eos. I just sent a Resounding Thunder to the dome when he was at 2 life during my upkeep.

I think a drafted a pretty solid RBg deck with a shitload of removal here even if I don’t have a single nonbasic land to support the Jund colors. I used just one obelisk and splashed the green sparingly for the solid manabase. My draws last night were sick as I usually curve out with the 1 and 2 drops. I guess it was my night. I got 4 packs that night. Woohoo!!!!

Please don't forget to post your comments below!

3 comments:

  1. Pack 3 pick 7: I prefer the flying deathtouch.

    Solid nga yun draft.

    comment: WTF naman yan pick 6 infest. Tapos balik pa ultimatum sayo.

    ReplyDelete
  2. @ Crisler, The kathari can only hit for 1 every turn, unless I use a Jund chamr to pump it. It is more of a defensive guy for me, but since I have a whole lot of removal already, I chose the Parasite which 1. Fits my curve pretty well, 2. Combos well with my 2 drops and others, and 3. can possibly deal more than 1 damage per turn compared to the Kathari.

    The infest as pick 6 was sick. Same with the ultimatum. Clear signals IMO.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Pack 2, pick 10: Sir, I'm reporting you to Wizards for alleged rare drafting. Hehehehe.

    Pack 3, pick 9: I might have picked the Hellkite Hatchling.

    ReplyDelete