Thursday, May 21, 2009

Shards Block Draft


After almost a month's hiatus from online drafting, I come back with an ALA CON ARB Draft. A few things to note. Today is the 1st day of Shards block drafting in MTGO. I logged on and was surprised to see JT online as well (apparently, we both weren't able to satiate the draft itch even if we just drafted last night IRL at Ongkeco's. Without further ado, here's how my 1st Shards Block went...
  Pack 1 pick 1:


  My Pick:

The choice here is pretty straightforward. The Bull Cerodon is the best card in the pack.
  Pack 1 pick 2:

  My Pick:

Theone who passed me this pack must have opened a bomb rare. Leaving me with a good resounding thunder.
  Pack 1 pick 3:

  My Pick:

I'm trying to stick to my main color here, which is red. But after the draft, it seems that the drumhunter is the better choice as it can accelerate me into my cerodon.
  Pack 1 pick 4:

  My Pick:

I really should've picked that drumhunter...
  Pack 1 pick 5:

  My Pick:

Drop 1 or 2 fatties, then geddon! Seems like a good idea.. the drumhunter would've been great with this guy too... How I wish the hunter will wheel... as if..
  Pack 1 pick 6:

  My Pick:

This card is no drumhunter, but at least it can provide any of Naya's colors, and can accelerate me to my fatties. The excommunicate is only good if you are playing a quick/aggressive bant deck or an GWr bear deck. It just cannot fit a big man Naya deck.
  Pack 1 pick 7:

  My Pick:

Here is the choice of the 2drop. While both are ok, Dragon Fodder is just better since it only costs 1R than the RG of the crasher. Surely, I will be able to cast the fodder on turn 2 in most games than the Crasher.
  Pack 1 pick 8:

  My Pick:

I'm a little clogged on the 5th drop so I'll choose the very good sideboard card. (which I think deserves a maindeck slot in Shards Block.
  Pack 1 pick 9:

  My Pick:


  Pack 1 pick 10:

  My Pick:


  Pack 1 pick 11:

  My Pick:


  Pack 1 pick 12:

  My Pick:


  Pack 1 pick 13:

  My Pick:


  Pack 1 pick 14:

  My Pick:


  Pack 1 pick 15:

  My Pick:


  Pack 2 pick 1:

  My Pick:

I almost clicked the behemoth here but decided to give Rakka Mar a try.
  Pack 2 pick 2:

  My Pick:

There's my behemoth. While the trailblazer can be nice with its evasion, white is just a splash as of the moment so I stick with the behemoth.
  Pack 2 pick 3:

  My Pick:

Removal.
  Pack 2 pick 4:

  My Pick:

I'm a little short on 2 drops.
  Pack 2 pick 5:

  My Pick:

I'm going for the fixer here to help me find my 3rd color.
  Pack 2 pick 6:

  My Pick:

Gleam of Resistance would be nice if it weren't my splash color. lets go for the Giant Growth here.
  Pack 2 pick 7:

  My Pick:

My manabase is rock solid, and I won't want to sacrifice consistency by getting the White Flyer.
  Pack 2 pick 8:

  My Pick:


  Pack 2 pick 9:

  My Pick:


  Pack 2 pick 10:

  My Pick:


  Pack 2 pick 11:

  My Pick:


  Pack 2 pick 12:

  My Pick:


  Pack 2 pick 13:

  My Pick:


  Pack 2 pick 14:

  My Pick:


  Pack 2 pick 15:

  My Pick:


  Pack 3 pick 1:

  My Pick:

Perfect! Just what the doctor ordered!
  Pack 3 pick 2:

  My Pick:

A Pseudo Naya Charm anyone?
  Pack 3 pick 3:

  My Pick:

Card Advantage! Mwahahaha
  Pack 3 pick 4:

  My Pick:

Now there's a very good 2 drop!
  Pack 3 pick 5:

  My Pick:

I've a lot of beef already, so I picked the backlash over the Wurm.
  Pack 3 pick 6:

  My Pick:

The Behemoth could be the better pick here. But I was tinkering in my mind something like race the opponent, then captured sunlight into a jund hackblade to win the race. lolz Who knows?
  Pack 3 pick 7:

  My Pick:

Combat trick or Critter? I go for the critter because I've seen this guy in action already, and he's insane with my sledge!
  Pack 3 pick 8:

  My Pick:

Definitely not an FTK, but close as it can potentially give me a 2 for 1 advantage against esper or bant.
  Pack 3 pick 9:

  My Pick:

Now my hackblade can be active on turn 2.
  Pack 3 pick 10:

  My Pick:


  Pack 3 pick 11:

  My Pick:


  Pack 3 pick 12:

  My Pick:


  Pack 3 pick 13:

  My Pick:


  Pack 3 pick 14:

  My Pick:


  Pack 3 pick 15:

  My Pick:


This draft converter created by Benjamin Peebles-Mundy.
Visit the draft converter today!

Here's the list that I played.



Notes on the deck:
A Rock solid manabase of 2 colors with a light splash is still the way to go.
Rakka Mar was insanely good than I had given it credit for.
Behemoth Sledge Wins Games.
I splashed a swamp for the cycling of the resounding thunder, turns out I side it out every game 2.
I thought 18 lands (counting the borderpost) was just right as I had pretty High CC guys. Turns out i only need 17.
I wish I was passed a Rhox Brute. JT swears by it and I wanted to try it out. Its a common for crying out loud, But I didn't get any!
Oh by the way, I won 3-0 and 4 packs with this deck. Yahoo!

No comments:

Post a Comment